Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fun Fun Fun


The last couple of weeks have been a couple fun adventures and then besides that mostly school.

Two weekends ago we went quad biking with the Butler Program. We woke up early and took a bus to Glenstrae Farm in Kaikora. The people working there were so nice and friendly. After getting our gum boots, water proof jackets and helmets on we spent about an hour learning how to ride the quad bikes. Four of them were manual and I almost offered to drive one of those but then I got too nervous. I wasn’t quite sure I had the skills to drive a manual ATV, I assumed it was a lot different than a car. It worked out better that I didn’t anyways, because those of us who drove the automatic ones also got a chance to trade places half way through the tour and take a ride on the Argo, an 8 wheel all terrain vehicle, that went off the track that the ATVs had to follow. Both were so much fun and the 2 and a half hour tour went by very quickly.

The base of the farm
Going through the stream on the Argo


It was really difficult to get pictures of the scenery while driving the bikes but at least you have somewhat of an idea. None of these pictures do the place justice, especially since the only chance we had to take pictures the sun went away :(


We rode up and down the mountains, through streams, and along the coast of their 1600 acre farm. We passed lots of cattle and sheep and were able to see a seal colony on the rocks by the coast. It was the most beautiful scenery I’ve seen since being in New Zealand and really made me appreciate the country that I’ve chosen to study abroad in. We ended up having really nice weather, even though we expected it to rain, which was an awesome plus! After that we went into the town of Kaikora to have lunch at The Dolphin Encounter. My food was excellent and it was nice to eat out instead of making my own meal (which is usually a bowl of cereal, or maybe pasta if I’m feeling ambitious.) After that we went for a small hike to get closer to the seals. We stood about 10 feet away from them while they slept on the beach. It was a really pleasant day, especially since it was planned and provided for us by my abroad program!



The seals


This past weekend I went to an All Blacks Rugby game vs. Australia. We bought the cheapest tickets possible but they ended up being front row, which was amazing! It was a little difficult to see one part of the field, but the All Blacks warmed up right in front of us, which was also really fun to watch. They practiced the part in the game where they pick one of the players up to catch the ball so that was really cool to see up close. After the game we walked downtown which was crazy! Everyone was out celebrating the All Blacks win. I’ve never seen so many people down town. It was fun to be out, and celebrate with the locals!


Everyone's facepaint
Leland, Nick and Kevin
The Haka (an intimidating Maori dance performed for the opposing team before the game)


These next two weeks are a big testing period, since I’m almost done with the first half of the semester. My two week spring break is coming up in a week which I’m really looking forward to! All of my classes have take home exams or reflective journals as a way of testing so nothing seems very hard so far. I’m still really interested in my classes, especially ‘Health and Medicine’ and ‘Ethnicity’. Its also really interesting because both are based from Australian and New Zealand perspectives, so it’s a lot different learning experience in these subjects than I’d be getting at home.

Grandmarie, I’m sorry I missed your birthday party but I’m so glad I was able to talk to you!

Johnny, I hope you have a great wedding day, I’m sad I’m missing it! Congratulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment